Monday, March 16, 2009

London Jolly Ol' Times: Day 2

A little tip for you world travelers out there, Nine month old infants do not adapt well to jet lag. After I posted last night I stayed up until 1:30 am with a not tired baby ;) It was fun though, since I don't get much time with Elaine during the week, I take what moments I can. That being said.... We had a very early morning today. We awoke at 6:00 am to go meet up with our tour bus. We visited three fantastic locations today Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath. We traveled from 7:30am until 8:00pm traveling over 300 miles round trip, needless to say it was a long day, but an amazing one.

WINDSOR CASTLE

Our first stop was Windsor Castle, on of the official residencies of her majesty the queen. It is one of the largest castles in the world. It was a pretty amazing site to see. Oddly enough the Queen was actually there in the castle, but the royal families' quarters are away from tourists. We started our tour on the grounds then moved into the castle.

Photography is not allowed in the building itself so there are not pictures of that, but believe me it was pretty amazing.














It is kind of sad when my entire home could fit in the King's closet. We did take some time to watch the changing of the guard at the castle as well.














As we left Windsor we got this shot in front of the statue of Queen Victoria. A queen and two princesses (awwwwhh!)


















STONEHENGE
All my life I have wanted to see stonehenge, I was afraid I would find it disappointing, but I wasn't disappointed at all. Stonehenge is pretty amazing. It is really neat to see something that was created so long ago. Every stop we made today had an audio listening guided tour, which made it nice to have extended explanation for the things we saw. Stonehenge really is a lot smaller than I imagined, but it is still pretty amazing. For those of you that didn't know we traveled here with some friends of ours.



Here is the five of us at stonehenge.
Laney even liked it!














This is the Heel Stone.
This is the stone that on the various important lunar and solar dates marks the
passage of time.



















BATH
Bath is trully one of the most amazing cities I have been to, and by far one of the highlights thus far of my trip. We needed more time there to really explore, but we did get to see "the" roman bath house that gives bath its name.


















The bath sits 15 feet below ground and is not in use, but the architecture is pretty amazing. Right next to the bath is the Bath Abbey. This was amazing, complete with flying buttress arches.














At the end of the tour they let you taste some of the water from the spring. Not very tasty, it tastes like warm well water.


































After we toured the Bath we found our way up to the Jane Austen center to get some souvenirs for people. Jane lived in Bath for nine years.










1 Comments:

Blogger Mandapanda said...

I really loved Stonhenge also - and was afraid I'd be disappointed, too...but wasn't. Did you see any bunnies there? It was funny - there were some Elders in the parking lot when we were there.

And we weren't quite brave enough to taste the water at Bath - good for you!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home